Friday, June 12, 2015

Vegetarian Taco Casserole

My husband affectionately calls this dish "Taco Irene" because, well that's my name and I invented it! This is a cheap and easy meal! I used to eat this with spicier salsa when I was overdue with my first baby and it always gave me "stirrings" like I might go into labor. I never did, but when I made this dish for a friend she DID go into labor that night! It hasn't worked like that since but I do like to make this for mothers who are about to have their babies. Maybe that's just my thing. 

Ingredients
-1 cup rice, uncooked (we use brown rice to add a little extra health boost)
-2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning or 1/3 package of taco seasoning
-2 cans or 2-3 cups cooked beans (I usually use a combination of kidney and black) 
-1 jar salsa
-tortillas (optional)
-shredded cheddar or nacho & taco cheese 

How to make it
Cook rice according to directions but add taco seasoning to the water. When cooked, begin layering with tortillas on the bottom (if using), rice, beans, salsa, cheese, then tortillas again and so on. 

Cover and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes until heated through. 

I didn't get a picture of the finished product. But it was good! I like to serve this with a dollop of sour cream and corn on the side. 



No comments:

Post a Comment