Friday, January 2, 2015

Another Food Post

I feel like all I write about or think about lately is food. It will be so nice to go back to eating almost anything after the babies are born! I'm going to educate you a little bit in the diet of a diabetic. You see, one slice of bread, whether it be whole wheat or white, has around 15 grams of carbohydrates, which is considered 1 serving. That means that having a sandwich gives me about 30 grams of carbs (or 2 servings) plus whatever else may be in the sandwich and all of the sudden I have just eaten about half of the carbs that I am allowed for the day (that's a SLIGHT exaggeration). But I am really excited about these wraps that I found at Kroger the other day.

I think they're technically flour tortillas but I am just going to use them for making wraps. One tortilla has 14 g of carbs, 9 g of fiber, and 5 g of protein. Anything that is high in fiber (above 5 g) kind of cancels out some of the carbs because high fiber foods are digested more slowly, so it's kind of like each tortilla is only 5 g of carbs (kind of)! Plus anytime you have carbs, you should be eating protein as well. The way I understand it, protein somehow helps the carbohydrates absorb slower into the blood stream. At least I think, someone please correct me if I am wrong. And I'm supposed to be eating somewhere around 100 grams of protein a day so I love finding things that have a little hidden protein in them. So anyway, today I had tuna with light mayo on a wrap with low fat mozzarella cheese and fresh spinach. I couldn't really tell the difference between this wrap and others that I have tasted even though it is SUPER healthy. This was exactly the kind of lunch that I need every now and then to be reminded that being a diabetic for the moment really isn't all that bad. The only problem I see with these wraps is that they cost a lot more than I really want to pay. So even though I want to eat them every day, I will have to use them sparingly. HOWEVER, I love knowing that there is GOOD food out there that I can eat guilt free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment